My brother is away in the military. He’s been gone for almost 5 months now, and I am missing him like crazy! Before he left he lived with me. We are very close! My parents went to visit him, so I had to bake him up something yummy to send with them since I couldn’t go along.
I had a hard time coming up with something. Not because he’s picky (he loves anything with sugar in it), but because it had to travel well. They weren’t flying, so it didn’t need to be packed up necessarily, but it couldn’t be something that had to be refrigerated, or something that could melt (and when it’s 110 degrees here that’s nearly everything). Also, he’s not that into sugar cookies so I didn’t want to go there.
Somehow I arrived at the idea for these cookies, and I knew he would love them!
Funfetti Oreo Surprise Cookies – makes about 20 large cookies
1 1/2 sticks salted butter (3/4 cup)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
scant 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups + 2 tbsp flour
1 cup dry funfetti cake mix
1/4 cup jimmies (the long sprinkles)
1 pack regular (aka Double Stuf) oreos
1. Cream together butter and sugar. (I like to cut my butter up into chunks first so that I don’t have to wait for it to come to room temperature.)
2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Scrape bowl if necessary.
3. Keeping mixer on low speed, add salt and baking powder. Slowly add flour then dry funfetti cake mix.
4. I kneaded my extra sprinkles in by hand, but I guess you can do it with the mixer. It might just chop them up a bit instead of leaving large sprinkle pieces.
5. Grab about a 2 tbsp size ball of the dough. Flatten it in your palm, then place an oreo in the center. Shape the dough around the oreo, making sure to cover it completely. It helped to kind of roll it around in my hand to smooth it out and to make sure it was totally covered.
6. Space about 2″ apart on baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350* or until edges start to turn golden. Cookies will be super puffed up, but will flatten a little as they cool. Wait 5-10 minutes to move them to a cooling rack so they can set up.
He loved them. 🙂
Next time, I’m going to try to find those little mini oreos so I can make mini versions!
2 responses to “Funfetti Oreo Surprise Cookies”
So sweet! When I was in college, my roommate’s mom used to send us jr. mint brownies she made! They were soo good and held up really well in the mail.
The best of 2 worlds in one cookie! Love it!