For anyone who has not experienced the pure bliss of a pizookie, this recipe is for you! A pizookie is a “pizza-cookie” that is served fresh baked, with a scoop of ice cream on top. (BJ’s Restuarant and Brewhouse is famous for them.)
I made these to bring to a friend’s house for dinner. There were going to be 3 couples there, so I made 3 sharable portions. I baked them in these cute little casserole dishes I bought at Michael’s for $1 back at Christmas time.
Chocolate Chip Pizookies – recipe adapted from Dollhouse Bake Shoppe
Makes 4 large pizookies.
1/2 cup (1 stick) + 1 tablespoon of butter, cut into small chunks
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
heaping 1/4 tsp salt
heaping 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Beat sugars and butter until fluffy (at least a couple minutes). Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add to cookie mixture until all incorporated.
3. Stir in chocolate chips by hand, then chill for a couple hours.
4. Roll the dough into balls and press a few into the bottom of each dish.
5. Bake dishes on a cookie sheet at 325 for 18-22 minutes, until puffed and slightly golden brown.
6. Set the dishes on a wire rack to cool for just a few minutes, then top each with a scoop of ice cream, and any other toppings you want!
I did make these when we went to a friend’s house for dinner… but completely forgot to take any pictures. So the next night I made the whole recipe again to take to my parents’ house for dinner. Forgot to take pictures again. Who does that?! Luckily there was some dough leftover the second time because I only baked 3, and there was just enough to make a 4th. So a few days later I made the last one and you better believe I took pictures this time! (Not that it would be torture to have to make them again…)
3 responses to “Chocolate Chip Pizookies”
I hadn’t heard of pizookies until now. Look at what wonderfulness I’ve been missing!
oh Paula you must try these! There is something too perfectly decadent about ice cream on a warm, soft cookie!
This is the first time I’ve heard of them too! They look so delicious!