I crave kettle corn all the time.
It’s sweet, crunchy, salty… the perfect craving food to fill every need. And so easy to eat!
It’s not one of those things you can just go to the store to buy. At least not here in Northern California.
You can get it at fairs and baseball games and very few other places. You gotta get it when you can otherwise you may not see any for a while.
Two weeks ago my hubby and I were at a Giants game, and the ENTIRE time I was looking for a kettle corn vendor to come up the stairs and make my day. No one ever came! I was devastated.
I decided I better learn to make it myself or else I may never get it when I need it again.
This recipe is sooooo easy, you’re CRAZY if you are not already planning on making this.
Homemade Kettle Corn – recipe from SavorySweetLife.com
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels (I used white popcorn)
1/3 cup sugar
**you will need a large pot (4-5 qts) with a lid
1. Pour the oil into your large pot and turn the heat on high.
2. Measure your popcorn and sugar into a bowl and shake it a bit to mix it up.
3. Drop 4 popcorn kernels into your oil. (When they pop, your oil is hot enough.)
4. After the kernels pop, dump in the sugar and the rest of the kernels.
5. Quickly stir them into the oil with a spatula, then put the lid on top the pot.
6. Holding the pot on top of or slightly above the burner, start to shake the pot. Once the kernels really start popping, turn off the burner and continue to shake the pot.
7. When the kernels slow and there is barely any popping, remove the lid and dump the popcorn into a large bowl.
8. Sprinkle with salt, stir it up, and sprinkle some more salt. Test. Stir and sprinkle more salt if necessary.
THAT’S IT! The whole process took maybe 5 or 6 minutes.
We actually ate most of it right away. Then I felt bad because my brother was at work and didn’t get any yet. Plus I forgot to take pictures of all the steps.
So….. I made another batch. Now you should make some. Ready, go!