I took a poll on my facebook page. Rolos or mini pb cups? Truth is I am going to use both. I jsut didn’t know which would come first… Rolos won by a large margin, which actually surprised me.
Instead of cookies, I wanted to go with a bar theme, but I wanted (for once) to make it from scratch.
The good news? It was just as easy as something from a box!
Rolo Blondies – modified from this recipe that I found on Pinterest.
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
a bag of Rolos
1. Melt the butter. (Watch it though. I went to long and had a butter boil-over.) Set butter aside to cool slightly.
2. If you also had a butter boil-over because you didn’t listen when I said watch it, go ahead and clean your microwave while it cools.
3. Unwrap some Rolos. I used 21, and it could have had 3x more. Do what feels right to you. Cut each one in half, top to bottom.
4. Put brown sugar in large bowl (or stand mixer). Add the cooled melted butter and beat until combined.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and vanilla, then add to sugar mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all sugary goodness is incorporated.
6. In a separate bowl (we’re making a kitchen mess, aren’t we?) mix together flours, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. If you have a measuring spoon that 1/8 tsp kudos to you, I had to wing it with my 1/4 tsp.
7. Slowly add dry stuffs to your sugar stuffs. Slowly. You don’t want a flour cloud in your kitchen in addition to your dirty bowl mess.
8. Scoop about half of the batter into an 8×8 pan. (If you have only 9×9, that’ll work, just cook it less because it will be thinner.)
9. Lay your Rolos caramel side down on top of the batter. I spaced mine a bit and used 42 halves (21 Rolos), but I think next time I will pack them right up against one another. Seriously.
10. Scoop out the rest of the batter and spread it as much as you can across the top of the candies.
11. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. If you’re using a 9×9, I would say check it after 20, but it could take 25.
12. Let cool completely before cutting. Okay you can taste it before it cools completely.. I would wait at least 20 minutes though so it can set up properly. But it cuts prettier if you wait to cut it until it cools. If you don’t care about pretty, then heck, have at it!
These would be really good with other candies too I think. The original recipe had M&M’s. Walnuts would be good. Or white chocolate chips… Basically this is an awesome base blondie recipe for manipulating however you want. If you try it, let me know – I’d love to hear what you put in it!