These are so cute and fun, and just perfect for the New Year!
They held their shape pretty well so they would be just the perfect substitute for any regular cut-out cookie recipe!
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
scant 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup dry cake mix (Funfetti, white, or yellow cake)
1/4 cup jimmies (long sprinkles)
1. Cream together butter and sugar. (I like to cut my butter up into chunks first so that I don’t have to wait for it to come to room temperature.)
2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Scrape bowl if necessary.
3. Keeping mixer on low speed, add salt and baking powder. Slowly add flour then dry cake mix.
4. Knead the extra sprinkles in by hand. I tried using my mixer and it chopped some of them up.
5. Roll and cut as desired. I roll my cookies 1/8″ thick and bake for 9 minutes. Thinner cookies will cook faster.
For these I just made a plain clear/white icing. I added 6 tbsp+1 tsp of milk to 1 lb of powdered sugar, and mixed until syrup consistency. Pour into a bottle and squeeze onto the cookies.