I’ve always wanted a good homemade funfetti recipe. Every time I try one that I find online, I am disappointed. Boxed funfetti is perfection, but cupcakes are appreciated more (especially for a party!) when they’re made from scratch.
This time I decided to start with a well-known blogger’s “best ever” recipe and adapt as I needed to in order to make funfetti. Problem is, I still wanted it to be easy and able to make with basic ingredients. Ain’t nobody got time for fancy ingredients or steps.
I ended up going with Glory’s Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes from her blog Glorious Treats. Quick word about Glory – she actually lives within 15-20 minutes of me in a neighboring city! I’ve never met her, but I think she’s fabulous and I hope to someday.
**Some of the ingredients below have an “or” in parenthesis. Use whichever ingredient(s) you have on hand!**
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes – recipe adapted from Glorious Treats
1 cup + 1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp flour (or 1 1/4 cups cake flour and NO cornstarch)
2 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk (or 1/2 cup buttermilk and skip the vinegar/lemon juice)
1/2 tsp white vinegar (or lemon juice)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sprinkles (jimmies work best)
1. Whisk together flour and cornstarch. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside.
3. Beat eggs 10-20 seconds, then slowly add sugar and beat. Once full combined, beat in extracts and oil.
4. Slowly add half the flour mixture with the mixer on low. Then add half the milk and combine well. Slowly add the other half of the flour mixture, then the other half of the milk.
5. Turn off mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the sprinkles by hand.
6. Carefully pour mixture into a lined cupcake pan, filling each liner about 2/3 the way. Do not overfill!
7. Bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 15 cupcakes.
I topped mine with my Easy Buttercream.