This is my mother-in-law’s recipe. Thank you Wendy for letting me share!
I love lemon. Anything lemon. This dessert is simple and not too sweet. Just perfect for a hot summer day.
I usually get this just once a year – on my father-in-law’s birthday, because it’s his favorite! My mother-in-law makes it in a pie pan or divides it between 2 small pyrex dishes, but I decided to make it as individual servings. I have these cute little dishes from pampered chef that have their own sealing lids. Everyone gets their own serving and they are easy to transport and eat!
Lemon Freezer Pie - adapted from Bon Appetite magazine (years ago)
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup whipped cream (thawed if using the frozen stuff)
1. If using fresh whipping cream, whip. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Mix together graham crack crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until crumbles start to stick together. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes. (If making in a pie pan or other dish, press this into the bottom and up sides and then bake.) Let cool.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Add yolks one at a time and beat until combined.
4. Fold in lemon juice and then whipped cream.
5. Divide evenly between single serving dishes. Top with graham crumbles. (Or pour into prepared crust.)
6. Freeze overnight before serving. (I made mine in the morning, it froze for about 8-9 hours, and it was perfect by after-dinner time.)
This recipe is always a hit. Try it for your next hot summer day/night get together!